Abstract: Xanthomanas campestris pv. oryzae is the causal agent of rice bacterial blight, a destructive rice disease worldwide, is increasing recently in Vietnam. Many people attempted to control this disease by chemical sprays. However, there are claims and counterclaims about the performance of many chemicals because they are hazardous to human health and environment. The most accepted and promising strategy is breeding resistant cultivars. In this study, 66 rice lines provided by IRRI were evaluated the resistance to bacterial leaf blight in Thua Thien Hue of Vietnam. The experiment was laid out in a completely randomized design (CRD) without replication in Spring-Summer 2015 in the open field at Quang Dien, Thua Thien Hue. The results showed that rice lines were high resistance against bacterial leaf blight. The IR 12 line performed the highest susceptant level to bacterial leaf blight. Based on agronomic traits and level of bacterial leaf blight resistance, IR 3, IR 4, IR 46, IR 28, IR 6, IR 18, IR 14 và IR 26 lines were selected for breeding program
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development – MARD (2011), National Technical Regulation on Testing for Value of Cultivation and Use of Rice varieties QCVN 01-55: 2011/BNNPTNT, Hanoi
- Nguyen Ngoc De (2008), Rice, Pub. Can Tho Univ.
- Ou, S. H. (1985) Rice Diseases (2nd Edn.) Common Wealth Mycological Institute, Kew, Surrey.
- Padmanabhan, S.Y. (1983) Integrated control of bacterial blight of rice. Oryza 20, 188-194
- Phu Huong (2015) Preventing bacterial leaf blight of rice <http://baonghean.vn/kinh-te/nong-nghiep/201507/chu-dong-phong-tru-benh-bac-la-tren-lua-2614906/>
- Singh, R.A., Monga, D. (1985) New methods of seed treatment for eliminating Xanthomonas campestris pv. oryzae from infected rice seed. Indian Phytopathology 38, 629-631.
- Singh, G. P., M. K. Srivastava, R. V. Singh and R. M. Singh (1997) Variation and qualitative losses caused by bacterial blight in different rice varieties. Indian Phytopath. 30: 180-185.
- Vera Cruz, C. M., I. Ona, NP. Castilla and R. Opulencia . Bacterial Blight, IRRI. <http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/decision-tools/rice-doctor/rice-doctor-fact-sheets/item/bacterial-blight>
- Vu Trieu Man (2007), Specialist Pathology Plant ,Agriculture Univ. No I, Hanoi.
- Zhai, W. X. and L. H. Zhu. 1999. Rice bacterial blight resistance genes and their utilization in molecular breeding. Adv. Biotech. 19: 9-15.