Abstract: The main objective of this study is to evaluate the growth ability and yield of promised-introduced tomato cultivars during winter-spring season 2016–2017 in Thua Thien Hue province. A total of eight cultivar treatments were used, namely GC171, GC173, CLN2001A, CLN5915, CLN1621L, Hawai7996, Cherry, and ThuanDien. Three promising cultivars (CLN2001A, CLN5915, and CLN1621L) were selected from two previous experiments. The field experiment was laid out in a randomized complete block design with three replications. Ten plants per replication were examined. The results show that CLN2001A, GC171, CLN1621L, CLN5915, and Hawai7996 have an early harvest period, ranging from 106 to 109 days, and their morphological and vegetative characteristics of are suitable under Thua Thien Hue conditions. Cultivars CLN5915, CLN1621L, and CLN2001A have a high actual yield with 15.7, 12.1, and 7.8 ton/ha, respectively. The Brix degree of high fruit quality ranges from 4.1 to 4.6 Bx. Therefore, these introduced cultivars can be considered as promising for tomato breeding and cultivation under the local conditions.
Keywords: tomato, agronomic characteristics, yield, Thua Thien Hue
- Le, T. K. (2009), Vegetable Textbook, Hue University Press, 104–115.
- Solanum lycopersicum–Tomato, Encyclopedia of Life (EOL) led by the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of Natural History, United States of America, Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Tomato, Encyclopaedia Britannica, 4 January 2018, Retrieved 15 January 2018. Written by: The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica.
- Sainju, U. M., Dris, R., and Singh, B. (2003), Mineral nutrition of tomato, Food, Agriculture & Environment.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), http://faostat.fao.org
- Frusciante, L., Carli, P., Ercolano, M. R., Pernice, R., Matteo, A. D., Fogliano, V., and Pellegrini, N. (2007), Antioxidant nutritional quality of tomato, Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, 51(5), 609–617.
- Giovanelli, G., and Paradiso, A. (2002), Stability of dried and intermediate moisture tomato pulp during storage, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 50(25), 277–7281.
- United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, USDA Food Composition Databases. https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list?qlookup=11529&format=Full
- Agarwal, S., and Rao, A. V. (2000), Tomato lycopene and its role in human health and chronic diseases, Canadian Medical Association journal (CMAJ), 163(6), 739–744.
- Elbadrawy, E., and Sello, A. (2016), Evaluation of nutritional value and antioxidant activity of tomato peel extracts, Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 9: S1010–S1018.
- Martínez‐Valverde, I., Periago, M. J., Provan, G., and Chesson, A. (2002), Phenolic compounds, lycopene and antioxidant activity in commercial varieties of tomato (Lycopersicum esculentum), Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 82(3), 323–330.
- Kimura, S., and Sinha, N. (2008), Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum), A Model Fruit-Bearing Crop, Cold Spring Harbor Protocols.
- Schumacher, K., Schmitt, T., Rossberg, M., Schmitz, G., and Theres, K. (1999), The Lateral suppressor (Ls) gene of tomato encodes a new member of the VHIID protein family, National Acad Sciences, 96(1), 290–295.
- Pearce, G., Strydom, D., Johnson, S., and Ryan, C. A. (1991), A Polypeptide from Tomato Leaves Induces Wound-Inducible Proteinase Inhibitor Proteins, Science, 253(5022), 895–897.
- Doan, X. C. (2015), Research on the source of materials for tomato breeding has hot resistance and against yellow leaf curl virus in the Red River Delta. PhD thesis, Vietnam National University of Agriculture. (Vietnamese)
- Result of selection of new hybrid tomato cultivars on Arenosols and Fluvisols 2009–2010 in Thua Thien Hue (2011), Department of Science and Technology of Thua Thien Hue Province. (Vietnamese)
- Truong, T. H. H., Tran, V. T., and Tran, T. T. (2014), Comparison of growth, development and productivity ability of some introduced tomato cultivars on Fluvisols and Arenosols in spring-summer season in Thua Thien Hue, Hue University Journal of Science, 151–158.
- Truong, T. H. H., and Tran, V. T. (2014), Research on introduced tomato cultivars in spring-summer and summer-autumn in Thua Thien Hue, Hue University Journal of Science, 152–159.
- Truong, T. H. H., and Tran, V. T. (2014), Evaluation of tomato germplasm in early spring - summer 2014 on sandy land in Thua Thien Hue, Journal of Science – Hue University, 98(10), 63–74.
- Truong, T. H. H., Nguyen, D. T., and Tran, T. T. (2017), Evaluation of growth, development, and yield of some promising exotic tomato cultivars in winter-spring 2015–2016 in Thua Thien Hue, Hue University Journal of Science, 126(3C), 55–67. (Vietnamese)
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (2011), National Technical Regulation on Testing for Value of Cultivation and Use of Tomato varieties, QCVN 01-63:2011/BNNPTNT.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (2012), Procedure to conduct tests for Distinctness, Uniformity and Stability of Tomato varieties, 10TCN 557:2002.