Abstract: The damage of chilli, an important spice fruit, comes from fungal diseases caused mainly by Aspergillus niger and Colletotrichum sp. The fungi on chilli fruits would directly harm consumers’ health. Plant extracts containing bio-active compounds with antimicrobial properties could be a good possible solution to deal with the fungi. This study aims to evaluate the in vitro and in vivo efficacy of aqueous extracts from the leaves of Ageratum plants against A. niger and Colletotrichum sp. The results show that the optimal efficacy of the treatment of Ageratum leaf extract is at a concentration of 6%, with the efficacy of Ageratum leaf extract on colonial diameter at approximately 43–44% for the two fungi at 96 hours after inoculation. The 6% Ageratum leaf extract has a high efficacy (~54.23%) on limiting the development of Aspergillus rot lesions on chilli fruits 4 days after inoculation. Meanwhile, the efficacy of the extract on Colletotrichum lesions is 11.34%, lower than that of Aspergillus rot.
Keywords: Ageratum leaf extract, chilli fruit, rot lesion
- Arauz L. F. (2000), Mango anthracnose: Economic impact and current options for integrated management, Plant Disease° 84, 600–611.
- Atlas R. M. (2004), Handbook of microbiological media, 3rd Edition, CRC Press Washington D.C., USA. 2051p.
- Bajpai V. K., Kang S. C. (2012), In vitro and in vivo inhibition of plant pathogenic fungi by essential oil and extracts of Magnolia liliflora Desr., J. Agr. Sci. Tect., 14, 845–856.
- Dixit S. N., Chandra H., Tiwari R., Dixit V. (1995), Development of a botanical fungicide against blue mould of mandarin, J. Stored Prod. Res., 31,165–72.
- Falade M. J. (2017), In vitro evaluation of antifungal activities of six plant extracts against Colletotrichum lindemuthianum Sensu-lato, America Journal of Plant Biology° 2(2), 61–65.
- Goncalves F. P., Martins M. C., Junior G. J. S., Lourenco S. A., Amorim L. (2010), Postharvest control of brown rot and Rhizopus rot in plums and nectarines using carnauba wax, Postharvest Biology and Tecnology, 58, 211–217.
- Hidangmayum B., Singh N. I. (2017), Efficacy of plant extracts on fruit rot pathogen of pineapple (Ananas comosus Merr.), International Journal of Engineering Development and Research, 5(4), 1353–1355.
- Ilondu E. M., Ojeifo I. M., Emosairue S. O. (2014), Evaluation of antifungal properties of Ageratum conyzoides, Spilanthes filicaulis and Tithonia diversifolia leaf extracts and search for their compounds using gas chromatography-mass spectrum, ARPN Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science, 9(11), 375–384.
- Le Thanh Long, Nguyen Hien Trang (2014), Nghien cuu kha nang khang nam moc Aspergillus flavus tren ngo cua mot so hoat chat co nguon goc tu nhien, Hue University Journal of Science: Agriculture and Rural Development, 94(6), 145–156.
- Le Thanh Long, Nguyen Van Toan, Nguyen Van Hue, Trang Si Trung, Vu Ngoc Boi (2016), Nghien cuu anh huong của chitosan hoa tan trong nuoc đen nam Colletotrichum musae D1 gay benh than thu tren chuoi o dieu kien in vitro, Hue University Journal of Science: Agriculture and Rural Development, 119(5), 56–65.
- Long P. P. (2012), Diagnosis of post-havest fungal pathogens on chilli (Capsicum spp.), Thesis in Plant Protection, Can Tho University, 59p.
- Long L. T., Tan L. V., Boi V. N., Trung T. S. (2017), Antifungal activity of water-soluble chitosan against Colletotrichum capsici in postharvest chili pepper, J. Food Process Preserv., e133339, 1–8.
- Mishra P., Singh P., Tripathi, N. N. (2014), Evaluation of plant extracts against Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. lycopersici – wilt pathogen of tomato, International Journal of Food Agriculture and Veterinary Sciences 4(2), 163–167.
- Scholz K., Vogt M., Kunz, B. (1999), Application of plant extracts for controlling fungal infestation of grains and seeds during storage, In: Lyr H., Russell P. E., Dehne H. W., Sisler H. D. (Eds), Modern Fungicides and Antifungal Compounds (eds), Intercept Ltd., Andover, U.K., 429–435.
- Sharma R. (2007), Vegetables: Disease disgnosis and biomanagement, Prem C. Bakliwal for Aavishkar Publishers, Distributors 807, Vyas Building, Chaura Rasta Jaipur 302 003 (Raj.), India.
- Sheikh M., Malik A. R., Meghavanshi M. K., Mahmood I. (2012), Studies on some plant extracts for their antimicrobial potential against certain pathogenic microorganisms, Am. J. Plant Sci. 3, 2009–2013.
- Shuping D. S. S., Eloff J. N. (2017), The use of plants to protect plants and food against fungal pathogens – A review, Afr. J. Tradit. Complement Altern. Med., 14(4), 120–127.
- Tijjani A., Adebitan S. A., Gurama A. U., Haruwa S. G., Safiya T. (2014), Effect of some selected plant extracts on Aspergillus flavus, a causal agent of fruit rot disease of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) in Bauchi State, International Journal of Biosciences° 4(2), 244–252.
- Valenzuela H. (2011), Farm and forestry production and marketing prole for chilli pepper (Capsicum annuum)° In: Elevitch C. R. (ed.), Specialty crops for pacifc island agroforestry. Permanent agriculture resources (PAR), Holualoa, Hawaii, USA, 1–13.
- Waweru C. M., Muthamia J. M., Otaye D. O. (2014), Potential of Sodom apple (Solanum incanum L.) fruit extracts in the management of chilli root knot disease in Nakuru county, Kenya, Hindawi Advances in Agriculture, 3849829, 1–5.