Abstract: This study assesses the economic efficiency of rice production of households towards VietGAP in Phong Binh, Phong Dien, Thua Thien Hue. The authors use semi-structured questionnaires to survey 90 rice households (45 households towards VietGAP and 45 conventional households) and hold a focus group discussion to accumulate the data. The results show that households practising VietGAP use only seeds, phosphate, NPK fertilizers as guided by the agricultural co-operatives. In the Winter-Spring crop 2017–2018, these households produce about 6.67 t/ha. The rice production profit of the VietGAP mode is relatively low, about 14,079,320 VND/ha, which is 948,200 VND/ha higher than that of the conventional mode. The profit-cost ratio of rice production with VietGAP is not significantly higher than that with conventional rice production.
Keywords: economic efficiency, rice household, VietGAP, conventional rice production
- Demont, Matty and Pieter Rutsaert (2017), Restructuring the Vietnamese rice sector: towards increasing sustainability, Sustainability, 9(2), 325.
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Thua Thien Hue Province (2018), Report on production of Winter-Spring crop 2017–2018, (in Vietnamese).
- Dung, La Nguyen Thuy and Mai Van Nam (2015), Analysis of the financial performance of rice producing households in the model associated with the enterprise in An Giang Province, Can Tho University Journal of Science, 36, 92–100, (in Vietnamese).
- Ha, T M. (2014), Evaluating production efficiency and quality of leafy radish cultivated according to the Vietnamese Good Agricultural Practice (VietGAP) guideline in Northern Vietnam, International Journal of Development Research, 4(11), 2219–2224.
- Ha, Tuan M. (2014), Effectiveness of the Vietnamese Good Agricultural Practice (VietGAP) on plant growth and quality of Choy Sum (Brassica rapa var. parachinensis) in Northern Vietnam, Aceh International Journal of Science and Technology, 3(3).
- Haynes, Richard J, and Ravi Naidu. (1998), Influence of lime, fertilizer and manure applications on soil organic matter content and soil physical conditions: a review, Nutrient cycling in agroecosystems, 51(2), 123–137.
- Minh, Ngo Đuc, Mai Van Trinh, Wassmann Reiner, Tran Dang Hoa, and Nguyen Manh Khai (2014), Farmer’s Perception and Farming Practices in Rice Production under Changing Climate: Case Study in Quang Nam Province, VNU Journal of Science: Earth and Environmental Sciences, 30(4), 25–40.
- Nhan, Tran Quoc, và Do Van Hoang, (2013), Rice production and distribution under contract: Status-quo and solutions in An Giang province, Can Tho University Journal of Science, 27, 76–83, (in Vietnamese).
- Nhung, Ngo Thi Phuong (2015), Agricultural development in Phong Dien district, Thua Thien Hue province, Da Nang University, (in Vietnamese).
- People's committee of Phong Dien district (2015), Training Planning for rural labour and employee export in Phong Dien district in the 2016–2018 period, (in Vietnamese).
- VietnamPlus, Vietnam News Agency 81,500 hectares of crops certified with VietGAP 2018. https://en.vietnamplus.vn/81500-hectares-of-crops-certified-with-vietgap/145234.vnp.