The chives and ginger’s bulbs were extracted by ethanol 96%, 72%, 48% within 5, 10 and 15 days for each concentration (15, 30 and 45 days in total, respectively). The solidified extract then was used for antibacterial activity against E. coli and Salmonella spp. isolated from fecal of chickens with diarrhoea. The results showed that both ginger and chive, which socked and leached for greater than 30 days gave better antibacterial ability. Extracts diluted at concentrations of 5 µg/µl, 7.5 µg/µl and 10 µg/µl of ginger and chive bulbs are resistant to both bacteria. Compared with antibiotics, E. coli was resistant to amoxicillin, whereas Salmonella spp. was resistant to gentamicin and amoxicillin. The minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) of chives extract (30 days) was 16-63 (31-125) mg/ml and ginger extract (30 days) was 16-80 (2-4) mg/ml; overall, the results indicated that both extract had bacteriostatic/bactericidal effects on E. coli and Salmonella spp.
- . Bakhiet, A.O., Adam, S.E. (1995). Therapeutic utility, constituents and toxicity of some medicinal plants: a review. Veterinary and Human Toxicology, 37, 255-258.
- . Vo Van Chi (1999). Dictionary of Medicinal Plants in Vietnam. Medicine Publisher. Hanoi, Vietnam.
- . Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) (2018). CLSI Document M07-A9. 28th Edition.
- . Fadia. M, AL-Haiali Z., AL-Rassam T., Yassen M. (2012). The inhibition effect of some plant extracts on some gram negative and gram positive bacteria. Academic Scientific Journals, 23, 22-38.
- . French, G.L. (2006). Bactericidal agents in the treatment of MRSA infections–the self-stability of processed frozen beef sausage. Life Science Journal, vol. 9, 2012, 448-461.
- . Indu, M.N., Hatha, A.A.M., Abirosh, C., Harsha, U., Vivekanandan, G. (2006). Antimicrobial activity of some South Indian spices against serotypes of Escherichia coli, Salmonella. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 37, 153-158.
- . Iram S., Akbar Khan J., Aman N., Nadhman A., Zulfiqar Z. and Arfat Yameen M. (2016). Enhancing the anti-enterococci activity of different antibiotics by combining with metal oxide nanoparticles. Journal of Microbiology, 12; 9(3):31302.
- . La Van Kinh (2017). The use of finised products of medicinal herbs in chicken and pig production. Agricultural publishing house. Hanoi, Vietnam.
- . O'Hara, M., Kiefer, D., Farrell, K., Kemper, K. (1998). A review of 12 commonly used medicinal herbs. Archives of family medicine 7, 523-536.
- . Rattana, P. và Phumkhachorn, P. (2008). Diallyl sulfide content and antimicrobial activity against food-borne pathogenic bacteria of chives (Allium schoenoprasum). Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, 72, 2987-2991.
- . Sarker, S.D., Nahar, L., Kumarasamy, Y. (2007). Microliter plate-based antibacterial assay incorporating resazurin as an indicator of cell growth, and its application in the in vitro antibacterial screening of phytochemicals. Methods, 42: 321-324.