Abstract: Pollution caused by market wastewater has occurred for many years in Vietnam. In particular, untreated wastewater from a riverside market is often directly discharged into a river, increasing loads of pollutants for the river. Every day, An Cuu market wastewater is averagely discharged about 19 cubic metres into An Cuu river. However, a wastewater treatment system has not been yet built at the market due to many reasons including the lack of investment capital. A Trickling filter (TF) consisting of a fix bed of biochar is a cost acceptable technology, effectively treating parameters like organic pollutants, nutrients and suspended solids. In this study, a model of TF using biochar medium for An Cuu market wastewater treatment were effectively operated with the organic loading rate (OLR) varying from 188 to 550 gBOD5.m-3.day-1 and the hydraulic loading rate (HLR) from 532 to 1899 L.m-2.day-1. The biochar trickling filter showed high removal efficiencies: 97% BOD5, 92% COD, 97% TSS, 66% PTot and 62% NTot.
- American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation, USA (2005), Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater 21st Edition.
- Vietnam’s Ministry of natural resources and environment, Circular No. 24/2017/TT-BTNMT on environmental monitoring techniques.
- Vietnam’s Ministry of Construction, TCXDVN 51 (2008), Drainage and Sewerage - External Networks and Facilities, Design Standard.
- Yaxin Deng, Tao Zhang and Qiming Wang (2017), Biochar Adsorption Treatment for Typical Pollutants Removal in Livestock Wastewater: A Review, Engineering Applications of Biochar, IntechOpen.
- Doan Van Dong, Vietnam Institute for Building Science and Technology (2009), Study on proposal of wastewater treatment system for Muong La district hospital, Son La province, Vietnam.
- Tran Duc Ha (2006), Municipal Wastewater Treatment, Hanoi Publishing House for Science and Technology.
- Korbinian Kaetzl , Manfred Lübken, Tito Gehring and Marc Wichern (2018), Efficient Low-Cost Anaerobic Treatment of Wastewater Using Biochar and Woodchip Filters, Water 2018, 10, 818, MDPI.
- M.M. Manyuchi, C. Mbohwa, E. Muzenda (2018), Potential to use municipal waste biochar in wasterwater treatment for nutrients recovery, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 107, 92–95.
- Nguyen Vo Chau Ngan, Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan, Huynh Quoc Truong, Le Hoang Viet (2015), Evaluating treatment efficient of fish processing wastewater by trickling filter tank with cocopeat medium and sawdust medium, Can Tho University Journal of Science, 37, 51–62.
- Nguyen Dinh Quan (2015), Vietnam market and wood pellet industry in 2014–2015, Presentation of the representive of Southern Wood Pellet Mill Manufacturers Club (PELMAS), Hanoi.
- Sahar S. Dalahmeh, Capacity of biochar filters for wastewater treatment in onsite systems, (2016), Technical report, Sweden.
- Truong Quy Tung (2015), Analysing of nitrogen and phosphorus flows from domestic waste in Hue city and recommendation of solutions for management, Final report of scientific research project at Hue University level.
- Anh Tung (2015), Biochar – Efficiency by Technology. STINFO 6 (2015), Center for Statistics and Science and Technology Information, Ho Chi Minh City Department of Science and Technology.
- Lam Minh Triet, Nguyen Thanh Hung, Nguyen Phuoc Dan (2008), Domestic and Industrial Wastewater Treatment – Calculation and Engineering Design, Ho Chi Minh City National University Publishing House.
- Bui Thi Vu, Quan Vu Manh (2013), Research on the treatment of noodle production wastewater by the method of anaerobic filtration combined with a rotating biological contactor, Science and Training Newsletter, Haiphong Private University.
- Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickling_filter
- Xiaofei Tan, Yunguo Liu, Guangming Zeng, Xin Wang, Xinjiang Hu, Yanling Gu, Zhongzhu Yang (2015), Application of biochar for the removal of pollutants from aqueous solutions, Chemosphere, 125, 70-85, Elsevier.