Abstract: According to Conference of the Parties 22 (COP22) statement, climate change adaptation is the concern of not only an individual but also the whole society. Since the climate change issue is a multidimensional problem, decision-making in climate change adaptation is a complex process. In this paper, we analyze the advantages and disadvantages of three main group of decision-support tools, namely Expert preference, Monetary valuation, and Multi-criteria analysis (MCA). The paper recommends MCA in general and AHP in particular as effective tools to compensate for the disadvantages of other techniques as well as to overcome the challenges and requirements from the climate change adaptation decision-making process.
Keywords: climate change, AHP, MCA, monetary valuation, expert preference
- A. Foley, Jonathan, et al. (2005), Global Consequence of Lan Use, Science 309, 570, 390–401.
- Aarjan Dixit. H. M (2012), analyzing climate change adaptation options using multi-criteria analysis. f. a. l. a. r. t. c. c. (arcc), Allocation, RWS Publications.
- Berkhout, F., J. Hertin, and D. M. Gann (2006), Learning to adaptation: organizational adaptation to climate change impacts, Climatic Change, 78(1), 135–156.
- Bruin, K. d. (2013), Ranking climate change adaptation options through multi-criteria analysis, Applied Science, 37(1), 245–255.
- Burton, I (1996), The growth of adaptation capacity: practice and policy. In: Adapting to Climate Change: An International Perspective, [Smith, J., N. Bhatti, G. Menzhulin, R. Benioff, M. I. Budyko, M. Campos, B. Jallow, and F. Rijsberman (eds.)]. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, 3(5), 55–67.
- Cuhls, Kerstin (2001), Foresight with Delphi Surveys in Japan, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 13(4), 37–48.
- Davood Samari, H. A., Kiumars Zarafshani, Frank Witlo (2012), Determining Appropriate Forestry Extension Model: Application of AHP in the Zagros Area, Iran, Forest Policy and Economics, 15(1), 91–97.
- Doria, Miguel de Franc, Emily Boyd, Emma L. Tompkins, and W. Neil Adger (2009), Using expert elicitation to define successful adaptation to climate change, Enviromental Science and Policies, 12, 810–819.
- Tran Trong Duc (2006), Using GIS and AHP Techiniques for Land Stability _Use Suitability Analysis, International Symposium on Geoinformatics for Spatial Infrastructure Development in Earth and Applied Science, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Fischer, G. N. (2011), MCA4climate: A practical framework for planning pro-development climate policies. Adaptation Theme Report: Reducing Agricultural Output Losses, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA).
- GFDRR (2011), Vulnerability, Risk Reduction, and Adaptation to Climate Change: Viet Nam” Climate Risk and Adaptations Country Profile, IETNA, Vietnam.
- IPCC (2007), Working Group II Report “Impact, Adaptation and Vulnerability”, Fourth Assessment Report.
- IPCC (2014), Working Group II Report Climate Change 2014: Impact, Adaptation and Vulnerability, Fifth Assessment Report.
- Janssen, John, and Marjan Van Herwijnen (2006), Decision Support for Discrete Choice Problems: The DEFINITE Program, Amsterdam.
- Jinren R. Ni., Yingkui K. L. (2003), Approach to soil erosion assessment in terms of land-use structure changes. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 58(3), 158–162.
- Kasperczyk, N. & Knickel, K. (2005), Preference Ranking Organisational Method for Enrichment Evaluations – PROMETHEE, Springer.
- Le Thi Hoa Sen (2016), Method of selecting the solutions for climate change adaptation in agricultural production, Hue University Publisher ( in Vietnamese).
- Lind, Robert C (1995), Intergenerational equity, discounting, and the role of cost-benefit analysis in evaluating global climate policy, Energy Policies (Elsevier), 23(5), 379–389.
- Monica Huehner, Črtomir Rozman, Karmen Pažek (2016), Chapter 13: A Case Study on the Application of the Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) to Assess Agri-Environmental Measures of the Rural Development Programme (RDP 2007–2013) in Slovenia, Applications and Theory of Analytic Hierarchy Process - Decision Making for Strategic Decisions.
- N. Van Cauwenbergh , K. B., C. Bielders, V. Brouckaert, L. Franchois, V. Garcia Cidad, M. Hermy, E. Mathijs, B. Muys, J. Reijnders, X. Sauvenier, J. Valckx, M. Vanclooster, B. Van der Veken, E. Wauters, A. Peeters (2007), SAFE—A hierarchical framework for assessing the sustainability of agricultural systems, Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 120, 229–242.
- Noleppa. S (2013), Economic approaches for assessing climate change adaptation options under uncertainty. Excel tools for Cost-Benefit and Multi-Criteria Analysis, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Competence Center for Climate Change.
- Oz Sahin, Sherif Mohamed, Jan Warnken, Anisur Rahman (2009), Evaluating Sea Level Rise Adaptation Options on the Gold Coast, Australia: An MCDA Approach, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Australia.
- Raksakuthai. V (2002), Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Options in Vietnam, Vietnamese Publishing House, Vietnam.
- Saaty T. L. (1980), The Analytical Hierarchy Process, Planning, Priority, Resource, Springer.
- Saaty T. L. (1990), How to make a decision: The Analytic Hierarchy Process, European Journal of Operational Reserach , 48, 9–26, North-Holland.
- Saaty T. L. (2008), Decision making with the analytic hierarchy process, International Journal of Services Sciences, 1(1), 83–98.
- Saaty T. L. (2016), The Analytic Hierarchy and Analytic Network Process for the Measurement of Intangible Criteria and for Decision-Making, Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis. State of the Art Surveys, J. R. F. Salvatore Greco, Matthias Ehrgott, Springer, 233, 363–420.
- Stainback, G. Andrew, Michel Masozera, Athanase Mukuralinda, Puneet Dwivedi (2011), Smallholder Agroforestry in Rwanda: A SWOT-AHP Analysis, Small-scale Forestry (Springer).
- Tran Thi Xuan My, Hector M. Malano, Russell G. Thompson (2017), Application of the analytic hierarchy process to prioritize irrigation asset renewals: the case of the La Khe irrigation scheme, Vietnam, Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 10(6), 382–390.
- Tompkins, E.L., W.N. Adger, E. Boyd, S. Nicholson-Cole, K. Weatherhead, N. Trærup, S. L. M. B., Riyong Kim (2015), Evaluating and prioritizing technologies for adaptation to climate change. A hand on guidance to multi criteria analysis (MCA) and the identification and assessment of related criteria.
- Trærup, Sara Lærke Meltofte, Riyong Kim Bakkegaard (2015), Evaluating and prioritizing technologies for adaptation to climate change. A hand on guidance to multi-criteria analysis (MCA) and the identification and assessment of related criteria, Climate Resilient Development Programme, UNEP DTU Partnership.
- Vaidya, O. S. & Kumar, S. (2006), Analytic hierarchy process: An overview of applications, European Journal of Operational Research, 169, 1–29.
- Van Ierland , E. C., de Bruin, K., Watkiss (2013), Decision Support Method for Climate Change Adaptation. Multi-Criteria Analysis, MEDIATION Project.
- Ying, Xiong, Zeng Guang-Ming, Chen Gui-Qiu, Wang Ke-Lin Tang Lina, Huang Dao-You (2007), Combining AHP with GIS in synthetic evaluation of eco-environment quality—A case study of Hunan Province, China, Ecological modelling, 209, 97–109.