This study aims at the determination of the optimal parameters in the pectin extraction from watermelon peels, namely, pH, time, temperature, solvent, and material/water ratio. The results show that the highest pectin content is obtained by using nitric acid at pH 1.65; the precipitate solvent is isopropanol; the material/water ratio is 2.5:50 (g/mL); the temperature is 95 °C, and the time is 90 minutes. The appropriate pectin concentration to make gel in jam is 1.5%. The pectin extraction is simple, and therefore it can be applied to the production of pectin, pineapple jam, and aloe vera jam in the laboratory and industrial scales.
- Ridley BL, O’Neill MA, Mohnen DA. Pectins: Structure, biosynthesis, and oligogalacturonide-related signaling. Phytochemistry. 2001;57(6):929-967.
- May CD. Industrial pectins, sources, production and application. Carbohydrate Polymers. 1990;12(1):79-99.
- Sila D, Van Buggenhout S, Duvetter T, Fraeye I, De Roeck A, Van Loey A, et al. Pectins in Processed Fruits and Vegetables: Part II—Structure–Function Relationships, Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2009;8(2):86-104.
- Pilnik W, Reitsma JCE. Analysis of mixtures of pectins and amidated pectins. Carbohydrate Polymers. 1989;10(2):315-319.
- Miyamoto A, Chang KC. Extraction and physicochemical characterization of pectin from sunflower head residues. Journal of Food Science. 1992;57(6):1439-1443.
- Thi PVK, Cẩm TTH, Phượng ĐTB, Quỳnh HTT. Trích ly pectin từ cây sương sáo. Tạp chí Khoa học công nghệ và Thực phẩm. 2018;14(1):58-65.
- Lin TP, Feng TY, Chung YH, Lan CL. Quantification of Methyl Ester Content of Pectin by Pectinesterase. Bot Bull Academia Sinica. 1990;31:273-278.
- Xin Wang, Quanru Chen, Xin Lü. Pectin extracted from apple pomace and citrus peel by subcritical water. Food Hydrocolloids. 2014;38:129-137.
- Charity U, Ogunka-Nnoka and Mary F. Atinlikou. Extraction and characterization of pectin from some selected non-citrus agricultural food wastes. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2016;8(5):283-290.
- Yapo BM, Robert C, Etienne I, Wathelet B, paquot M. Effect of Extraction Conditions on the Yield, Purity and Surface Properties of Sugar Beet Pulp Pectin Extracts. Food Chemistry. 2007;100(4):1356-1364.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2020 Array