The antioxidant activity of essential oils from leaves of Piper betle L. (T) and Cleistocalyx operculatus L. (V) and aerial parts of Ageratum conyzoides L. (H), indigenously grown in Thua Thien Hue province, Vietnam, is investigated. The quantitative structure–activity relationship (QSAR) model comprising 4-hydroxy-chromene-2H-one and its 26 derivatives is used to predict the radical scavenging activity of T, V, and H. The radical scavenging activity of the oils is experimentally determined with DPPH (1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl) via IC50 values. The experimental IC50 values are in good agreement with those obtained from the QSAR model. The IC50 value of Piper betle L. is 3.71 mg/mL, comparable to that of the strong antioxidant ascorbic acid (3.03 mg /mL).
- Aishwarya J, Chauhan ES, Singh A, Tiwari AJAJoP, Therapeutics C. A Review: Nutraceuticals Properties of Piper betel (Paan). 2016;4:028-41.
- Bhargava P, Uppoor A, Pralhad S, Nayak DGJNjoirim. An Invitro Study Of Determination Of Anti-Bacterial, Antioxidant, Anti- Inflammatory Potential Of Piper Betel Essential Oil. 2015;6:37-44.
- Row LM, Ho J. The Antimicrobial Activity, Mosquito Larvicidal Activity, Antioxidant Property and Tyrosinase Inhibition ofPiper Betle. Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society. 2009 06;56(3):653-658.
- Vietnamese Pharmacopoeia. 5th ed. Hanoi: Medical Publishing House; 1997. p. 134.
- Boukeria S, Kadi K, Kalleb R, Benbott A, Bendjedou D, Yahia A. Phytochemical and physicochemical characterization of Allium sativum L. and Allium cepa L. Essential oils. Journal of Materials and Environmental Science. 2016;7(7):2362-2368.
- Diao W, Hu Q, Zhang H, Xu J. Chemical composition, antibacterial activity and mechanism of action of essential oil from seeds of fennel (Foeniculum vulgare Mill.). Food Control. 2014;35(1):109-116.
- Mladenović M, Mihailović M, Bogojević D, Matić S, Nićiforović N, Mihailović V, et al. In Vitro Antioxidant Activity of Selected 4-Hydroxy-chromene-2-one Derivatives—SAR, QSAR and DFT Studies. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2011;12(5):2822-2841.
- Tat PV. Development of new anticancer agents from Leaf of plants in Viet Nam. Hanoi: LAP Lambert Academic Publishing; 2017. 80 p.
- Wong S, Leong L, Williamkoh J. Antioxidant activities of aqueous extracts of selected plants. Food Chemistry. 2006;99(4):775-783.
- Gan R-Y, Xu X-R, Song F-L, Kuang L, Li H-B. Antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of medicinal plants associated with prevention and treatment of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. Journal of medicinal plant research. 2010;4:2438-2444.
- Alexander B, Browse D, Reading S, Benjamin I. A simple and accurate mathematical method for calculation of the EC50. Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods. 1999;41(2-3):55-58.
- Dung NX, Van Luu H, Khoi TT, GC and GC/MS analysis of the leaf oil of Cleistocalyx operculatus Roxb. Merr. et Perry (Syn. Eugenia operculata Roxb.; Syzygicum mervosum DC.). Journal of Essential Oil Research. 1994;6(6):661-662.
- Karak S, Acharya J, Begum S, Mazumdar I, Kundu R, De B. Essential oil of Piper betle L. leaves: Chemical composition, anti-acetylcholinesterase, anti-β-glucuronidase and cytotoxic properties. Journal of Applied Research on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. 2018;10:85-92.
- Patil RP, Nimbalkar MS, Jadhav UU, Dawkar VV, Govindwar SP. Antiaflatoxigenic and antioxidant activity of an essential oil from Ageratum conyzoides L.. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2010;90(4):608-614.
- Usman L, Olawore ZM, Muhammad NO, M'Civer FA, Ismaeel RO. Chemical constituents of flower essential oil of Ageratum conyzoides growing in Nigeria. Elixir Organic Chemistry. 2013;54:12463-12465.
- Rani N, Kumar P, Singh R, Sharma A. Molecular docking evaluation of imidazole analogues as potent candida albicans 14α-Demethylase inhibitors. Current Computer Aided-Drug Design. 2015;11(1):8-20.
- Dung NT, Kim JM, Kang SC. Chemical composition, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of the essential oil and the ethanol extract of Cleistocalyx operculatus (Roxb.) Merr and Perry buds. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2008;46(12):3632-3639.
- Liao SY, Chen JC, Qian L, Shen Y, Zheng KC. QSAR, action mechanism and molecular design of flavone and isoflavone derivatives with cytotoxicity against HeLa. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2008;43(10):2159-2170.
- Wang T, Chen I, Lu P, Wong C, Liao C, Tsiao K, et al. Synthesis, antiproliferative, and antiplatelet activities of oxime- and methyloxime-containing flavone and isoflavone derivatives. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry. 2005;13(21):6045-6053.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2020 Array