In this study, different analytical conditions, including digestion solutions (acid, base, and H2O2), temperatures, and times were investigated to determine microplastics (MPs) particles in fish samples. The optimal digestion ratio of 10% KOH/fish sample is 10:1 (v/w) for 48 hours at 40 °C. The optimal solution for the flotation of the particles is 2 M NaCl. The MPs particle concentration in layang scad fish (Decapterus lajang) is 1.1 ± 0.2 particles/g wet samples or 65.4 ± 12.6 particles/individual.
- Carpenter EJ, Smith KL. Plastics on the Sargasso sea surface. Science. 1972;175(4027):1240-1241.
- Eriksen M, Lebreton LC, Carson HS, Thiel M, Moore CJ, Borerro JC, et al. Plastic pollution in the world's oceans: more than 5 trillion plastic pieces weighing over 250,000 tons afloat at sea. PloS One. 2014; 9(12):e111913.
- Frère L, Paul-Pont I, Rinnert E, Petton S, Jaffré J, Bihannic I, et al. Influence of environmental and anthropogenic factors on the composition, concentration and spatial distribution of microplastics: a case study of the Bay of Brest (Brittany, France). Environmental Polltion. 2017;225:211-222.
- Peters CA, Bratton SP. Urbanization is a major influence on microplastic in- gestion by sunfish in the Brazos River Basin, Central Texas, USA. Environmental Polltion . 2016;210:380-387.
- FAO. The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture [internet]. Rome: Programming and Documentation Service of the FAO Conference, Council and Protocol Affairs Division; 2016. 200 p. Available from: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i5555e.pdf
- Avio CG, Gorbi S, Milan M, Benedetti M, Fattorini D, d'Errico G, et al. Pollutants bioavailability and toxicological risk from microplastics to marine mussels. Environmental Polltion . 2015;198:211-222.
- Brate ILN, Eidsvoll DP, Steindal CC, Thomas KV. Plastic ingestion by Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) from the Norwegian coast. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2016;112 (1-2):105-110.
- Compa C, Ventero A, Iglesias M, Deudero S. Ingestion of microplastics and natural fibres in Sardina pilchardus (Walbaum, 1792) and Engraulis encrasicolus (Linnaeus, 1758) along the Spanish Mediterranean coast. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2018;128:89-96.
- Naji A, Nuri M, Vethaak AD. Microplastics contamination in molluscs from the northern part of the Persian Gulf. Environmental Pollution. 2018;235:113-120.
- Avio CG, Gorbi S, Regoli F. Plastics and microplastics in the oceans: from emerging pollutants to emerged threat. Marine Environmental Research. 2017;128:2-11.
- Hartmann NB, Rist S, Bodin J, Jensen LHS, Schmidt SN, Mayer P, et al. Microplastics as vectors for environmental contaminants: exploring sorption, desorption, and transfer to biota. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management. 2017;13(3):488-493.
- Teuten EL, Saquing JM, Knappe DR, Barlaz MA, Jonsson S, Björn, A et al. Transport and release of chemicals from plastics to the environment and to wildlife. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. 2009; 364:2027-2045.
- Renzi M, Guerranti C, Blašković A. Microplastic contents from maricultured and natural mussels. Marine Environmental Research. 2018;131:248-251.
- Bouwmeester H, Hollman PCH, Peters RJB. Potential health impact of environmentally released micro- and nano-plastics in the human food production chain: experiences from nanotoxicology. Environmental Science & Technology. 2015;49:8932-8947.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific. Chemical Compatibility Guide. 2016.
- Collard F, Gilbert B, Eppe G, Parmentier E, Das K. Detection of anthropogenic particles in fish stomachs: an isolation method adapted to identification by Raman spectroscopy. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 2015;69:331-339.
- 18. Vandermeersch G, van Cauwenberghe L, Janssen CR, Marques A, Granby K, Fait Gr, et al. A critical view on microplastic quantification in aquatic organisms. Environmental Research. 2015;143:46-53.
- Foekema EM, De Gruijter C, Mergia MT, van Franeker JA, Murk AJ, Koelmans AA. Plastic in north sea fish. Environmental Science & Technology. 2013;47:8818-8824.
- Rochman CM, Tahir A, Williams SL, Baxa DV, Lam R, Miller JT, et al. Anthropogenic debris in seafood: plastic debris and fibers from textiles in fish and bivalves sold for human consumption. Scientific Reports. 2015;5:14340. 2015.
- Nuelle M-T, Dekiff JH, Remy D, Fries E. A new analytical approach for monitoring microplastics in marine sediments. Environmental Pollution. 2014;184:161-169.
- Cole M, Webb H, Lindeque PK, Fileman ES, Halsband C, Galloway TS. Isolation of microplastics in biota-rich seawater samples and marine organisms. Scientific Reports. 2015;4:4528.
- Li J, Yang D, Li L, Jabeen K, Shi H. Microplastics in commercial bivalves from China. Environmental Pollution. 2015;207:190-195.
- Claessens M, Van Cauwenberghe L, Vandegehuchte MB, Janssen CR. New techniques for the detection of microplastics in sediments and field collected organisms. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2013;70:227-233.
- Karami A, Golieskardi A, Ho YB, Larat V, Salamatinia B. Microplastics in eviscerated flesh and excised organs of dried fish. Scientific Reports. 2017;7:5473.
- Zhu L, Wang H, Chen B, Sun X, Qu K, Xia B. Microplastic ingestion in deep-sea fish from the South China Sea. Science of The Total Environment. 2019;677:493-501.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2020 Array