AbstractCarbon nanotubes (CNTs) synthesized by chemical vapour deposition without using hydrogen were oxidized with 0.1 M potassium permanganate at 40oC for 2 hours and exhibited high CuII adsorption capacity from aqueous solution. X-ray diffraction (XRD), energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS), scanning electron microscope (SEM), transmission electron microscope (TEM) and nitrogen adsorption/desorption isotherms were used to characterize the oxidized CNTs. After oxidizing, the obtained CNTs were used to remove CuII from aqueous solution. With CuII initial concentration of 20 mg.L-1, at pH of 4 and adsorbent dosage of 0.2 g.L-1, the oxidized CNTs exhibited high CuII adsorption ability with maximum adsorption capacity of 174.4 mg.g-1.
- Islam MS, Ahmed MK, Raknuzzaman M, Habibullah -Al- Mamun M, Islam MK. Heavy metal pollution in surface water and sediment: A preliminary assessment of an urban river in a developing country. Ecological Indicators. 2015 01;48:282-291.
- Li YH, Luan Z, Xiao X, Zhou X, Xu C, Wu D and Wei B. Removal of Cu2+ Ions from Aqueous Solutions by Carbon Nanotubes. Adsorption Science & Technology. 2003;21(5):475-485.
- Kobya M, Demirbas E, Senturk E, Ince M. Adsorption of heavy metal ions from aqueous solutions by activated carbon prepared from apricot stone. Bioresource Technology. 2005;96(13):1518-1521.
- Kılıç M, Kırbıyık Ç, Çepelioğullar Ö, Pütün AE. Adsorption of heavy metal ions from aqueous solutions by bio-char, a by-product of pyrolysis. Applied Surface Science. 2013;283:856-862.
- Alinnor I. Adsorption of heavy metal ions from aqueous solution by fly ash. Fuel. 2007 03;86(5-6):853-857.
- Moosa AA, Ridha AM, Abdullha IN. Chromium ions removal from wastewater using carbon nanotubes. International Journal for Innovative Research in Science & Technology. 2015;4(2):275-282.
- Staﬁej A, Pyrzynska K. Adsorption of heavy metal ions with carbon nanotubes. Separation and PurificationTechnology. 2007;58:49-52.
- Atieh MA, Bakather OY, Al-Tawbini B, Bukhari AA, Abuilaiwi FA, Fettouhi MB. Effect of Carboxylic Functional Group Functionalized on Carbon Nanotubes Surface on the Removal of Lead from Water. Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications. 2010;2010:1-9.
- Sui XM, Giordani S, Prato M, Wagner H. Effect of carbon nanotube surface modification on dispersion and structural properties of electrospun fibers. Applied Physics Letters. 2009;95,233113(1-3).
- Zehua Q and Guojian W. Effective Chemical Oxidation on the Structure of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2012;12:105-111.
- Scheibe B, Palen EB, Kalenczuk RJ. Oxidation and reduction of multiwalled carbon nanotubes preparation and characterization. Materials Characterization. 2010;61:185-191.
- Zhang N, Xie J and Varadan VK. Functionalization of carbon nanotubes bys potassium permanganate assisted with phase transfer catalyst. Smart Materials and Structures. 2014;11:962-965.
- Datsyuk V, Kalyva M, Papagelis K, Parthenios J, Tasis D, Siokou A, Kallitsis I, Galiotis C. Chemical oxidation of multiwalled carbon nanotubes. Carbon. 2008;46(6):833-840.
- Lu C and Liu C. Removal of nickel(II) from aqueous solution by carbon nanotubes. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology. 2006;81:1932-1940.
- Li YH, Wang S, Luan Z, Ding J, Xu C, Wu D. A dsorption of cadmium(II) from aqueous solution by surface oxidized carbon nanotubes. Carbon. 2003;41:1057-1062.
- Sheng G, Li J, Shao D, Hu J, Chen C, Chen Y, Wang X. Adsorption of copper(II) on multiwalled carbon nanotubes in the absence and presence of humic or fulvic acids. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2010;178:333-340.
- Wang J, Li Z, Li S, Qi W, Liu P, Liu F, Ye Y, Wu L, Wang L, Wu W. Adsorption of Cu(II) on oxidized multi-walled carbon nanotubes in the presence of hidroxylated and carboxylated fullerenes. Plos one. 2013;8(8):1-11.
- Slobodian P, Riha P, Olejnik R, Cvelbar U, Saha P. Enhancing effect of KMnO4 oxidation of carbon nanotubes network embedded in elastic polyurethane on overall electro-mechanical properties of composite. Composites Science and Technology. 2013;81:54-60.
- Li YH, Di ZC, Luan ZK, Dinh J, Zuo H, Wu X Q, Xu CL, Wu DH. Removal of heavy metals from aqueous solution by carbon nanotubes: adsorption equilibrium and kinetics. Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2004 2;16:208-211.
- Srivastava S. Sorption of divalent metal ions from aqueous solution by oxidized carbon nanotubes and nanocages: a review. Advanced Materials Letters. 2013;4(1):2-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2019 Array