Earning management to exceed thresholds is the practice of adjusting earnnings to achieve one or more earning targets. To test whether commercial banks are interested in reaching certain targets using earnings management, we conduct research on the behavior of earning management in 27 joint stock commercial banks in Vietnam from 2010 to 2019 using the earning distribbution approach (EDA). The results provide evidences that avoiding losses and excess planned profits are among the targets that managers aim for, however, it is not clear whether avoiding earning decrease is a target that managers focus on.
- Degeorge F. , Patel J., Zeckhauser R. (1999), Earnings Management to Exceed Thresholds, The Journal of Business, 72(1), 1–33.
- Đào Nam Giang, Nguyễn Thị Thanh Mai (2019), Thao túng số liệu để báo cáo mức lợi nhuận ổn định tại các ngân hàng thương mại Việt Nam - Bằng chứng từ độ dao động của lợi nhuận và luồng tiền, Kỷ yếu Hội thảo Quốc tế dành cho các nhà khoa học trẻ khối kinh tế và kinh doanh ICYREB 2019, 12/2019, 681–699.
- Matsumoto D. A. (2002), Management’s Incentives to avoid negative earnings surprises, The Accounting Review, 77(3), 483–514.
- Kanagaretnam K., Lobo G.J. and Mathieu R. (2004), Earnings Management to Reduce Earnings Variability: Evidence from Bank Loan Loss Provisions, Review of Accounting and Finance, 3(1), 128–148.
- Agarwal S., Chomsisengphet S., Liu C. & Rhee S. G. (2007), Earnings management behaviors under different economic environments: Evidence from Japanese banks, International Review of Economics & Finance, 16(3), 429–443.
- Kahneman D., Tversky A. (1979), Prospect theory: An analysis of decision under risk, Econometrica, 47(March), 263–291.
- Shen CH., Chih HL. (2005), Investor Protection, Prospect Theory, and Earnings Management: An International Comparison of the Banking Industry, Journal of Banking & Finance, 29(10), 2675–2697.
- Burgstahler D., Dichev I. (1997), Earnings Management to Avoid Earnings Decreases and Losses, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 24, 99–126.
- Beatty A. L., Ke B., Petroni K. R. (2002), Earnings Management to Avoid Earnings Declines across Publicly and Privately Held Banks, The Accounting Review, 77(3), 547–570.
- Maia S. C., Bressan V. G. F., Lamounier W. M., Braga M. J. (2013), Earnings Management in Brazilian Credit Unions, Brazillian Business Review, 10(4), 91–109.
- Hamdi F. M., Zarai M. A. (2012) Earnings Management to Avoid Earnings Decreases and Losses: Empirical Evidence from Islamic Banking Industry, Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, 3(3), 88–106.
- Ky Han Tran, Nguyen Hung Duong (2020), Earnings Management to Avoid Earnings Decreases and Losses: Evidence from Vietnamese Listed Companies, Cogent Economics & Finance, 8(1), 1849980, DOI: 10.1080/23322039.2020.1849980.
- Pham Nguyen Dinh Tuan, Tran Thi Bich Duyen (2020), Accrual-Based Earnings Management And Real Activities Manipulation To Avoid Losses: Evidence From Unlisted Public Companies In Vietnam, The University of Da Nang - Journal of Science and Technology, 18(6), 87–92.
- Bartov A. (1993), The timing of asset sales and earnings manipulation, The Accounting Review, 68(4), 840–855.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2022 Array