Irradiation is known as a handful measure to inhibit potato sprouting, kill harmful bacteria, and increase preservation. The absorbed dose is one of the essential characteristics of the irradiation process. In this study, the depth-dose distributions in potatoes and polymethyl methacrylate were investigated under low-energy X-ray irradiation by using the Fricke dosimeter and Gafchromic film dosimeter. The dose rates required for the rays to penetrate in polymethyl methacrylate were compared with those in potatoes. Polymethyl methacrylate could be used as a phantom in measuring the depth dose delivered in potatoes. The difference in depth-dose distribution in potatoes between one-sided and double-sided irradiation was also investigated. The calculated dose uniformity ratio values are 5.8 and 1.9 for potatoes irradiating one-sided and double-sided.
- Josephson ES. An Historical Review of Food Irradiation. J Food Safety. 1983;5:161-165.
- Diehl JF. Safety of Irradiated Foods. New York : Marcel Dekker; 1990.
- Kume T, Todoriki S. Food irradiation in Asia, the European Union and the United States: A Status Update. Radioisotopes. 2013;62(5):291-299.
- IAEA. Technical Reports Series: Dosimetry for food irradiation. Vienna: IAEA; 2002. №: 409.
- Rosana GM. Irradiation of Food. Virginia: Virginia tech publishing; 2020.
- Casolaro P, Campajola L, Breglio G, Buontempo S, Consales M, Cusano A, et al. Real-time dosimetry with radiochromic films. Scientific Reports. 2019;9(1):5307.
- Casolaro P. Radiochromic Films for the Two-Dimensional Dose Distribution Assessment. Appl Sci. 2021;11(5):2132.
- Marshall AT. X-ray Depth Distribution (φ(ρz)) Curves for X-ray Microanalysis of Frozen-Hydrated Bulk Biological Samples. Micron (1969). 1982;13(3):317-8.
- Ishizaka T. Measurement Method of Ion-Beam Ralative Intensity Distribution using gamma-ray Irradiation response function of Gafchromic Film HD-V2. Radioisotopes. 2017;66:251-258.
- Kishor M, Igor J. Measurements of electron depth-dose distribution in thick plastics and effects of accumulated charge. Radiat Phys Chem. 1996;47(3):487-490.
- Sparrow H, Christensen E. Improved storage quality of potato tubers after exposure to Cobalt-60 gamma. Nucleonics. 1954;12(8):16-17.
- Kume T, Tachibana H, Aoki S, Sato T. Effective gamma-ray dosage and dose rate in sprout inhibition of potatoes. JAERI-M. 1976.
- IAEA. Irradiation of bulbs and tuber crops – A compilation of technical data for its authorization and control. Vienna: IAEA; 1997.
- Rezaee M, Almasi M, Farahani AM, Minaei S, Khodadadi M. Potato sprout inhibition and tuber quality after post-harvest treatment with gamma irradiation on different dates. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2011;13:829-842.
- Alimov AS, Bliznyuk UA, Borchegovskays PU, Varzar SM, Elansky SN, et al. Using accelerated electron beams for the radiation processing of foodstuffs and biomaterials. Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences: Physics. 2017;81(6);743-747.
- Fellows PJ. Food processing technology: Principles and practice, 3rd edit., T Boca Raton: Taylor &Francis; 2009.
- WHO. High-dose irradiation: wholesomeness of food irradiated with doses above 10kGy. Report of a Joint FAO/IAEA/WHO Study Group: No. 890 (WHO Technical Report Series); 1999.
- International Food Standards. Codex STAN 106-1983 - FAO/WHO Codex Alimentarius Commission. 2003.
- Mehta K, O'Hara K. Dosimetry for Food Processing and Research Applications. Food Irradiation Research and Technology ; 2006. p. 105-25.
- Hitachi Power Solutions Co. Operation. Manual X-ray Irradiation System MBR-1618R-BE. Hitachi Inspire the Next. 2018.
- Kume T, Tachibana H, Takehisa M. Fricke dosimetry in low dose range for sprout inhibition. Radioisotopes. 1981;30(10);560-562.
- Gafchromic dosimetry media, type HD-V2. Technical Sheet and User Guide. http://www.gafchromic.com/documents/gafchromic-hdv2.pdf.
- Micke A, Lewis DF, Yu X. Multichannel film dosimetry with nonuniformity correction. Medical Physics. 2011;38(5):2523-2534.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2022 Array