This paper presents a simple thermal-electrical model of a photovoltaic panel with a cooler-integrated sun tracker. Based on the model and obtained weather data, we analyzed the improved overall efficiency in a year as well as the performance in each typical weather case for photovoltaic panels with fixed-tilt systems with a tilt angle equal to latitude, fixed-tilt systems with cooler, a single-axis sun tracker, and a cooler-integrated single-axis sun tracker. The results show that on a sunny summer day with few clouds, the performance of the photovoltaic panels with the proposed system improved and reached 32.76% compared with the fixed-tilt systems. On a sunny day with clouds in the wet, rainy season, because of the low air temperature and the high wind speed, the photovoltaic panel temperature was lower than the cooler’s initial set temperature; the performance of the photovoltaic panel with the proposed system improved by 12.55% compared with the fixed-tilt system. Simulation results show that, over one year, the overall efficiency of the proposed system markedly improved by 16.35, 13.03, and 3.68% compared with the photovoltaic panel with the fixed-tilt system, the cooler, and the single-axis sun tracker, respectively. The simulation results can serve as a premise for future experimental models.
- Cuong NX, Hong NT, Tuan DA, Nhu YD. Performance Ratio Analysis Using Experimental Combining Historical Weather Data for Grid-Connected PV Systems. In: Sattler K, Nguyen DC, Vu NP, Long BT, Puta H, editors. Advances in Engineering Research and Application ICERA 2020 Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems. 178: Springer, Cham; 2021.
- da Silva VO, Martinez‐Bolanos JR, Heideier RB, Gimenes ALV, Udaeta MEM, Saidel MA. Theoretical and experimental research to development of water‐film cooling system for commercial photovoltaic modules. IET Renewable Power Generation. 2021;15(1):206-24.
- Dinçer İ, Zamfirescu C. Drying phenomena: theory and applications. West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons; 2016.
- Goswami DY, Kreith F, Kreider JF. Principles of solar engineering: CRC Press; 2000.
- Liang H, Han H, Wang F, Cheng Z, Lin B, Pan Y, et al. Experimental investigation on spectral splitting of photovoltaic/thermal hybrid system with two-axis sun tracking based on SiO2/TiO2 interference thin film. Energy Conversion Management. 2019;188:230-40.
- Marion B, editor Comparison of predictive models for photovoltaic module performance. 2008 33rd IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference; 2008: IEEE.
- Marion WF, Dobos AP. Rotation angle for the optimum tracking of one-axis trackers. National Renewable Energy Lab.(NREL), Golden, CO (United States); 2013.
- Mohanraj M, Chandramohan P, Sakthivel M, Kamaruzzaman S. Performance of photovoltaic water pumping systems under the influence of panel cooling. Renewable Energy Focus. 2019;31:31-44.
- Mousavi Maleki SA, Hizam H, Gomes C. Estimation of hourly, daily and monthly global solar radiation on inclined surfaces: Models re-visited. Energies. 2017;10(1):134.
- Ngo XC, Nguyen TH, Do NY, Nguyen DM, Vo D-VN, Lam SS, et al. Grid-connected photovoltaic systems with single-axis sun tracker: case study for Central Vietnam. Energies. 2020;13(6):1457.
- Nižetić S, Čoko D, Yadav A, Grubišić-Čabo F. Water spray cooling technique applied on a photovoltaic panel: The performance response. Energy conversion management. 2016;108:287-96.
- Ocłoń P, Cisek P, Kozak-Jagieła E, Taler J, Taler D, Skrzyniowska D, et al. Modeling and experimental validation and thermal performance assessment of a sun-tracked and cooled PVT system under low solar irradiation. Energy Conversion Management. 2020;222:113289.
- Perovic B, Klimenta D, Jevtic M, Milovanovic M. A transient thermal model for flat-plate photovoltaic systems and its experimental validation. Elektronika ir Elektrotechnika. 2019;25(2):40-6.
- Shahverdian MH, Sohani A, Sayyaadi H. Water-energy nexus performance investigation of water flow cooling as a clean way to enhance the productivity of solar photovoltaic modules. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2021;312:127641.
- Sohani A, Shahverdian MH, Sayyaadi H, Hoseinzadeh S, Memon S. Enhancing the renewable energy payback period of a photovoltaic power generation system by water flow cooling. International Journal of Solar Thermal Vacuum Engineering. 2021;3(1):73-85.
- Solcast. Solar Irradiance Data [internet]. [updated 2021 November 20]. Available from: https://solcast.com.au.
- Su Y, Zhang Y, Shu L. Experimental study of using phase change material cooling in a solar tracking concentrated photovoltaic-thermal system. Solar Energy. 2018;159:777-85.
- Wang Y, Liu M, Liu D, Xu K, Chen Y. Experimental study on the effects of spray inclination on water spray cooling performance in non-boiling regime. Experimental Thermal Fluid Science. 2010;34(7): 933-42.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2022 Array