This study aims to investigate the perceptions of English-majored students engaging in undergraduate research at the University of Foreign Languages, Hue University. It also explores the challenges that these students face in conducting research at the undergraduate level. A questionnaire was used to collect quantitative data for the study from 136 students specializing in English language studies and English language teaching at the Faculty of English. The results show that these students are aware of the importance of researching their professional training and development; therefore, they seem to adopt a relatively positive attitude towards conducting research. However, the findings suggest that despite receiving considerable support from the institution throughout the research process, the reality of conducting undergraduate research does pose some considerable challenges for these students.
- Alghamdi, K.M., Moussa, N.A., Alessa, D. S., Alothimeen N., & Al-Saud A.S. (2014). Perceptions, attitudes and practices toward research among senior medical students. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, 22(2), 113-117.
- Alsied, S. & Ibrahim, N. (2017). Exploring challenges encountered by EFL Libyan learners in research teaching and writing. IAFOR Journal of Language Learning. 3(2), 143-158.
- Elmabruk, R. & Bishti, R. (2020). Returning to graduation project: Attitudes and Perceived Challenges of Students and Staff at a Libyan EFL Department. Arab World English Journal (AWEJ), 11(3), 127-148.
- Healey, M. & Jenkins, A. (2009). Developing undergraduate research and inquiry. York: Higher Education Academy.
- Healey, M. & Jenkins, A. (2010). Undergraduate research and international initiatives to link teaching and research. Council on Undergraduate Research, 30(3), 36-42.
- Lopatto, D. (2004). Survey of undergraduate research experience (SURE): First findings. Cell Biology Education, 3, 270–277.
- Lopatto, D. (2010). Undergraduate research as a high-impact student experience. Association of American College and Universities, 12, 1–4.
- Mapolisa, T., & Mafa, O. (2012). Challenges being experienced by undergraduate students in conducting research in open and distance learning. International Journal of Asian Social Science, 2, 1672-1684.
- McMillan, J. H., & Schumacher, S. (2001). Research in education: A conceptual introduction. New York: Pearson.
- Phan, C. M. D. (2017). An investigation into students’ problems in the preparatory stage of doing research at the English Department, University of Foreign Languages, Hue University. Unpublished master dissertation, Hue University.
- Walkington, H. (2015). Student as researchers: Supporting undergraduate research in the disciplines in higher education. York: The Higher Education Academy.
- Yeh, C. C. (2009). Student perceptions of an EFL undergraduate research writing project. RELC Journal, 40(3), 314–332.