Abstract. From the beginning of the 21st century to the present, Southeast Asia has become a hotbed of strategic rivalry among major countries, such as Japan, India and China - the three largest, most influential and important countries in Asia. The strategic rivalry of these three big countries has had great influences on relations among countries in the region as well as relations between Japan, India and China with each country in Southeast Asia, including Japan - Vietnam relations. Basing on the clarification of a number of influencing factors, the article focuses on analyzing and explaining the strategic rivalry between Japan, India and China in the region and its influences on Japan - Vietnam relations from the beginning of the 21st century to the present as well as the prospects for the relations in the coming time.
- ASEAN (2020), “ASEAN: Selected basic indicators”, ASEAN Stats, https://data.aseanstats.org/indicator/AST.STC.TBL.1b. Access date on: 20/7/2022.
- Amrita Jash (2016), “India and the South Sea: Policies and Strategic Benefits”, Proceedings of Vietnam - India International Conference: New Context, New Vision, Volume 1, Political Theory Publishing House, Hanoi.
- Thanh Binh (2013), “Vietnam is Japan’s most important ODA partner”, https://vnexpress.net/kinh-doanh/viet-nam-la-doi-tac-oda-quan-trong-nhat-cua-nhat-2726083.html. Access date on: 18/10/2021.
- Tran Bong, “East Sea: Geostrategy and Economic Potential”, http://nghiencuubiendong.vn/tong-quan-ve-bien-dong/504-bien-ong-ia-chien-lc-va-tiem-nng. Access date on: 28/5/2022.
- Catharin Dalpino (2015), “Japan - South East Asia Relations: Abe open new fronts”, Comparative Connections, Volume 17, (Issue 1).
- Embassy of the Russian Federation in Vietnam (2016), Concept of foreign policy of the Russian Federation (Approved by the Ordinance of the President of the Russian Federation dated November 30, 2016, No. 640), https://vietnam.mid.ru/documents/22205434/22320864/Chinh+sach+doi+ngoaipdf.pdf. Access date on: 25/5/2022.
- General Statistics Office of Vietnam (2020), Foreign Direct Investment is licensed by main investment partners (Accumulation of valid projects as of December 31, 2019), https://www.gso.gov.vn/default.aspx?tabid=716. Access date on: 10/10/2021.
- Nguyen Hoang Giap (2013), Strategic competition in the Southeast Asia among a number of major countries today, National Political Publishing House of Vietnam, Hanoi.
- Duong Phu Hiep (2002), Adjustment of Japan's economic policies, National Political Publishing House of Vietnam, Hanoi.
- Tran Khanh (2006), "Southeast Asian geopolitical environment with Vietnam - ASEAN integration", Communist Journal, (Issue 16), p. 64 - 68.
- Pham Binh Minh (2010), Situation of the World in 2020, National Political Publishing House of Vietnam, Hanoi.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam (2007), “ASEAN Charter”, http://www.mofahcm.gov.vn/mofa/ctc_quocte/un/nr090311103654/nr090311141455/nr090311143142/ns090805112942. Access date on: 19/5/2022.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (2013), “Vision Statement on ASEAN - Japan Friendship and Cooperation, Shared Vision, Shared Identity, Shared Future”, http://www.mofa.go.jp/files/000022449.pdf. Access date on: 30/10/2021.
- Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India (16/12/2014), “Address by Secretary (East) at the Inaugural Session of the International Relations Conference on “India’s Eastbound - Eastbound Act Policy: A Bridge to the Asian Neighbourhood” (Pune, December 13, 2014)”, https://www.mea.gov.in/press-releases.htm?dtl/24531/Address+by+Secretary+East+at+the+Inaugural+Session+of+the+International+Relations+Conference+on+Indias+Look+East++Act+East+Policy+A+Bridge+to+the+Asian+Neighbourhood+Pune+December+13+2014. Access date on: 30/1/2022.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (2014), “Japan's Official Development Assistance White Paper 2014”, http://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/oda/page23_000807.html. Access date on: 25/7/2022.
- “PM’s (Prime Minister Manmohan Singh) keynote address at speciad leaders dialogue of ASEAN Business Advisory Council” (2005), Kuala Lumpur, December 12.
- Tang Siew Mun (2016), “China’s dangerous divide and conquer game with ASEAN”, Today, https://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/chinas-dangerous-divide-and-conquer-game-asean. Access date on: 15/6/2022.
- “The truth about Vietnam - China relations in the past 30 years (1979)”, National Political Publishing House, Hanoi.
- Sy Tuan - Dieu Thuy, “How important is the position of South Sea?”, https://vietnamnet.vn/vn/chu-quyen-hoang-sa-truong-sa/bien-dong-co-vi-tri-trong-yeu-ra-sao-420498.html. Access date on: 30/4/2022.
- Vietnam Embassy in Japan (2015), “Statement of a shared vision of Vietnam - Japan relations to promote comprehensively and further deepen Vietnam - Japan extensive strategic partnership for peace and prosperity in Asia”, http://www.vnembassy-jp.org/vi/tuy%C3%AAn-b%E1%BB%91-v%E1%BB%81-t%E1%BA%A7m-nh%C3%ACn-chung-quan-h%E1%BB%87-vi%E1%BB%87t-nam-nh%E1%BA%ADt-b%E1%BA%A3n. Access date on: 20/7/2022.