The use of electrochemical methods such as micro-electrolysis, electrocoagulation, and micro-electrolysis combined with electrocoagulation to remove fluoride from water were studied in this paper. The results indicated that the micro-electrolysis (using Fe/C particles) and the electrocoagulation (using iron electrodes) are not suitable for removal of fluoride from water solution. The electrocoagulation method with aluminum electrodes for removal efficiency of fluoride is very good. But it is not as good as the micro-electrolysis (using Fe/C particles) combined with the electrocoagulation method (using aluminum electrodes). At the optimal condition of the micro-electrolysis (using Fe/C particles) combined with the electrocoagulation method (using aluminum electrodes) and the initial concentration of fluoride ion of 50 mg/L, the removal efficiency of fluoride ion is 94.03% and the residual concentration is 2.986 mg/L.
- . Vo Anh Khue (2014), Research on electrocoagulation combined with micro-electrolysis for the treatment of heavy metal and fluoride ions in wastewater, The university of Danang Journal of Science and Technology, Vietnam, 7(80), 15-18.
- . M. M. Emamjomeh (2006), Electrocoagulation technology as a process for defluoridation in water treatment, University of Wollongong thesis collection, 113-116.
- . C. Hicyilmaz, S. Bilgen, & K. E. Ozbas (1997), The effect of dissolved species on hydrophobic aggregation of fluoride, Colloids and Surfaces, 121, 15–21.
- . C. Y. Hu, S. L. Lo, W. H. Kuan (2005), Effects of themolar ratio of hydroxide and ﬂuoride to Al (III) on ﬂuoride removal by coagulation and electrocoagulation, Journal of Colloid Interface Science, 283, 472-476.
- . C. Y. Hu, S. L. Lo, W. H. Kuan (2003), Effects of co-existing anions on ﬂuoride removal in electrocoagulation (EC) process using aluminum electrodes, Water Research, 37, 4513-4523.
- . V. A. Khue, L. T. Guo, X. X. Jun, Y. X. Lin and P. R. Hao (2014), Removal of copper and fluoride from wastewater by the coupling of electrocoagulation, fluidized bed and micro-electrolysis (EC/FB/ME) process, American Journal of Chemical Engineering, 2 (6), 86-91.
- . Khue Anh Vo, Xiao Jun Xu, Tian Guo Li, Rui Hao Peng, Shu Li Liu, Xiu Lin Yue (2016), Research on a new electrochemical method combined with chemical coagulation in removal of lead, zinc, and copper from wastewater, Desalination and Water Treatment, 57 (33), 15326-15343.
- . R. P. Liu, W. X. Gong, H. Ch. Lan, T. M. Yang, H. J. Liu, J. H. Qu (2012), Simultaneous removal of arsenate and ﬂuoride by iron and aluminum binary oxide: Competitive adsorption effects, Separation and Puriﬁcation Technology, 92, 100-105.
- . P. C. Mishra, K. Meher, D. Bhosagar and K. Pradhan (2009), Fluoride distribution in different environmental segments at Hirakud Orissa (India), African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 3(9), 260-264.
- . M. Y. A. Mollah, P. Morkovsky, J. A. G. Gomes, M. Kesmes, J. Parga, D. L. Cocke (2004), Fundamentals, present and future perspectives of electrocoagulation, Journal of hazardous materials, 114(1-3), 199-210.
- . N. C. R. Rao (2003). Fluoride and environment–A review, Proceedings of the third international conference on environmental and health, Chennai India, 386-399.
- . F. Shen, X. M. Chen, P. Gao, G. H. Chen (2003), Electrochemical removal of fluoride ions from industrial wastewater, Chemical Engineering Science, 58, 987-993.
- . M. Sivakumar and M. M. Emamjomeh (2005), Electrochemical method for fluoride removal: Measurement, Speciation and Mechanisms, 9th Annual Environmental Research Event (ERE) Conference, 29th, November - 2nd December, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
- . M. G. Sujana, S. Anand (2010), Iron and aluminium based mixed hydroxides: A novel sorbent for ﬂuoride removal from aqueous solutions, Applied Surface Science, 256, 6956–6962.
- . Toyoda, T. Taira (2000), A new method for treating fluorine wastewater to reduce sludge and running costs, IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, 13(3), 305-309.
- . Miao Yu, Min Xiaobo, Chai Liyuan and Yin Yinan (2012), Removal of fluoride and leadin wastewater with ironbioflocculant, The Chinese journal of nonferrous metals, 22 (8), 2366-2373.
- . J. Zhu, H. Zh. Zhao, J. R. Ni (2007), Fluoride distribution in electrocoagulation defluoridation process, Elsevier Separation and Purification Technology, 56(2), 184-191.
- . AWWA and WEF. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, American water works association and water environment federation, 20th Washington, D.C, USA.
- . World Health Organization (2004), Fluoride in drinking water, WHO Guidelines for drinking water quality.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2017 Array