Pomelo is a Vietnam’s plant species with high nutritional and economic value. Besides, pomelo essential oil contains numerous compounds with high biological activity. The essential oil is extracted by using steam distillation, and its chemical composition is determined by means of GC-MS. The major components are limonene (91.19%), b-myrcene (2.92%), a-phellandrene (1.98%), and a-pinene (1.19%). The antimicrobial activity of essential oils is tested against pathogenic Gram-positive bacteria (Bacillus cereus, Staphylococcus aureus), Gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli), and Aspergillus flavus at different concentrations with the agar well diffusion method. This essential oil is active against B. cereus, S. aureus, and E. coli with inhibition diameter zones at 8.3–11.3, 10.3–18.7, and 9.0–11.7 mm, respectively, and inhibits A. flavus mold with 18.9–65.0% efficiency.
- Kahn TL, Krueger RR, Gumpf DJ, Roose ML, Arpaia ML, Batkin TA, Bash JA, et al. Citrus genetic resources in California: Analysis and recommendations for long-term conservation. California (USA): University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources; 2001. 43 p. Report No.: 22.
- Tripoli E, Guardia LM, Giammanco S, Majo DD, Giammanco M. Citrus flavonoids: molecular structure, biological activity and nutritional properties. Food Chemistry. 2007;104:466-479.
- Gliozzi M, Carresi C, Musolino V, Palma E, Muscoli C, Vitale C, et al. The effect of bergamot-derived polyphenolic fraction on LDL small dense particles and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in patients with metabolic syndrome. Advances in Biological Chemistry. 2014;04:129-137.
- Nannapaneni R, Chalova VI, Crandall PG, Ricke SC, Johnson MG, O’Bryan CA. Campylobacter and Arcobacter species sensitivity to commercial orange oil fractions. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2009;129(1):43-49.
- Sharma N, Tripathi A. Effects of Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck epicarp essential oil on growth and morphogenesis of Aspergillus niger (L.) Van. Microbiological Research. 2006;10:1016-1020.
- Kanaze FI, Termentzi A, Gabrieli C, Niopas I, Georgarakis M, Kokkalou E. The phytochemical analysis and antioxidant activity assessment of orange peel (Citrus sinensis) cultivated in Greece-Crete indicates a new commercial source of hesperidin. Biomedical Chromatography. 2008;23:239-249.
- Ahmad MM, Rehman S, Iqbal Z, Anjum FM, Sultan JI. Genetic variability to essential oil composition in four Citrus fruit species. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 2006;38: 319-324.
- Hardin A, Crandall PG, Stankus T. Essential oils and antioxidants derived from citrus by-products in food protection and medicine: an introduction and review of recent literature. Journal of Agricultural & Food Information, 2010;11(2): 99-122.
- Phát NĐ. Nghiên cứu chiết xuất tinh dầu từ vỏ bưởi Năm roi (Citrus grandis (L.) Osbeck var. Grandisgrandis) bằng phương pháp chưng cất lôi cuốn hơi nước [thesis]. Nha Trang (VN): Đại học Nha Trang; 2011
- Okunowo WO, Olajumoke O, Afolabi LO, Matanmi E. Essential oil of grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) peels and its antimicrobial activities. American Journal of Plant Sciences 2013;4:1-9.
- Phả TT, Biển VV, Hảo NT, Đáo HV, Ánh VV. Kết quả bước đầu nghiên cứu xây dựng mô hình chưng cất tinh dầu cam, bưởi phục vụ xử lý rác thải xốp. Tạp chí Khoa học & Công nghệ - Đại học Thái Nguyên. 2014;122(08):117-123.
- Hien, TT, Nhan NPT, Trinh ND, Ho VTT, Bach LG. Optimizing the pomelo oils extraction process by microwave-assisted hydro-distillation using soft computing approaches. Solid State Phenomena. 2018;279:217-221.
- Bourgou S, Rahali FZ, Ourghemmi I, Tounsi SM. Changes of peel essential oil composition of four tunisian citrus during fruit maturation. The Scientific World Journal. 2012;1-10.
- Anupama DP, Rajendra PB, Krishna DP, Puneeth Shetty. Sunil Kumar KN. GC-MS Compositional Analysis of Essential Oil of Leaf and Fruit Rind of Citrus maxima (Burm.) Merr. from Coastal Karnataka, India. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2016;6(5):68-72.
- Zohra HF, Rachida A, Malika M, Benali S, Samir AA, Meriem B. Chemical composition and antifungal activity of essential oils of Algerian Citrus. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2015; 14(12):1048-55.
- Chen Y, Li T, Bai J, Nong L, Ning Z, Hu Z, et al. Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of the essential oil of Citrus maxima (Burm.) Merr. Cv. Shatian Yu. Journal of Biologically Active Products from Nature. 2018; 8(4): 228–233.
- Gamarra FMC, Sakanaka LS, Tambourgi EB, Cabral FA. Influence on the quality of essential lemon (Citrus aurantifolia) oil by distillation process. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering. 2006;23(1):147-151.
- Inouye S, Takizawa T, Yamaguchi H. Antibacterial activity of essential oils and their major constituents against respiratory tract pathogens by gaseous contact. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 2001;47(5):565-573.
- Gill AO, Holley AR. Discruption of Escherichia coli, Listeria monocytogenes and Lactobacillus sakei cellular membranes by plant oil aromatics. Journal of Food Microbiol 2006;108:1-9.
- Juven BJ, Kanner J, Schved F, Weisslowicz H. Factors that interact with the antibacterial action of thyme essential oil and its active constituents. Journal Application of Bacterial. 1994;76:626-631.
- Tassou C, Koutsoumanis K, Nychas G-EJ. Inhibition of Salmonella enteritidis and Staphylococcus aureus in nutrient broth by mint essentail oil. Food Research International. 2000;33:273-280.
- Edogbanya S, Olorunmola JB, Oijagbe IJ. Comparative study on the antimicrobial effects of essential oils from peels of three citrus fruits. MOJ Biology and Medicine. 2019;4:49-54.
- Uysal B, Sozmen F, Aktas O, Oksal BS, Kose EO. Essential oil composition and antibacterial activity of the grapefruit (Citrus paradisi L.) peel essential oils obtained by solvent-free microwave extraction: comparison with hydrodistillation. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 2011;46(7):1455-1461.
- Fisher K, Phillips CA. The effect of lemon, orange and bergamot essential oils and their components on the survival of Campylobacter jejuni, Escherichia coli O157, Listeria monocytogenes, Bacillus cereus and Staphylococcus aureus in vitro and in food systems. Journal of Applied Microbiology. 2006;101:1232-1240.
- Deba F, Xuan TD, Yasuda M, Tawata S. Chemical composition and antioxidant, antibacterial and antifungal activities of the essential oils from Bidens pilosa Linn. var. Radiata. Food Control. 2008;19(4):346-352.
- Viuda-Martos M, Ruiz-Navajas Y, Fernández-López J, Perez-Álvarez J. Antibacterial activity of lemon (Citrus limon L.), mandarin (Citrus reticulata L.), grapefruit (Citrus paradisi L.) and orange (Citrus sinensis L.) essential oils. Journal of Food Safety. 2008;28:567-576.
- Singh P, Shukla R, Prakash B, Kumar A, Singh S, Mishra PK, et al. Chemical profile, antifungal, antiaflatoxigenic and antioxidant activity of Citrus maxima Burm and Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck essential oils and their cyclic monoterpene, dl-limonene. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2010;48(6):1734-1740.
- Bezic N, Skocibusic M, Dunkic V. Phytochemical composition and antimicrobial activity of Satureja montana L. and Satureja cuneifolia Ten. essential oils. Acta Botanica Croatica. 2005;64(2):313-322.
- Sonboli A, Babakhani B, Mehrabian AR. Antimicrobial activity of six constituents of essential oil from Salvia. Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung Section C, Biosciences. 2006;61(3/4):160-164.
- Cristani M, d’Arrigo M, Mandalari G, Castelli F, Sarpietro MG, Micieli D. Interaction of four monoterpenes contained in essential oils with model membranes: Implications for their antibacterial activity. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2007;55(15):6300-6308.
- Veldhuizen EJ, Tjeerdsma-van Bokhoven JL, Zweijtzer C, Burt SA, Haagsman HP. Structural requirements for the antimicrobial activity of carvacrol. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2006;54:1874-1879.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2021 Array