Potassium hydrogen phthalate (KHP) is used as a standard to determine the chemical oxygen demand (COD) with the closed reflux-colourimetric method (colourimetric method). Besides KHP, it is possible to utilize oxalic acid for this purpose. After boiling at 150 °C for more than 30 minutes in H2SO4 containing Ag2SO4, K2Cr2O7 reacts completely with H2C2O4 at a molar ratio of 1:3. The experimentally determined chemical oxygen demand of H2C2O4 coincides with its theoretical value at 16.0 mg O2/mole H2C2O4. The average COD values of two river water samples, determined with the colourimetric method by using KHP standard and oxalic acid, are not statistically different. Oxalic acid can be used as a standard to determine COD with the colourimetric method.
- Geerdink RB, Sebastiaan van den Hurk R, Epema OJ. Chemical oxygen demand: Historical perspectives and future challenges. Analytica Chimica Acta. 2017;961:1-11. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2017.01.009
- Rice EW, Eaton AD, editors. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 23rd ed. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association; 2017. 1545 p.
- O’Dell JW. Method 410,4: The determination of chemical oxygen demand by semi-automated colorimetry. Cincinnati (US): Environmental Protection Agency; 1993. 12 p. Revision 2.0.
- Vogel AI, Jeffery GH. Vogel's textbook of quantitative chemical analysis. 5th ed. Harlow: Longman Scientific & Technical; 1989, 261 p.
- Dedkov YM, Elizarova OV, Kel’ina SY. Dichromate method for the determination of chemical oxygen demand. Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 2000;55(8):777-781. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/bf02757915
- Werner EA. XLIV.—Oxidation of oxalic acid by potassium dichromate. Journal of the Chemical Society, Transactions. 1888;53(0):602-609. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/ct8885300602
- Croft H. XXXIV. On a new oxalate of chromium and potash. The London, Edinburgh, and Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science. 1842 09;21(137):197-200. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786444208621519
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2021 Array